You're driving down the road & a song that you love, but you haven't heard in a while, comes on & it takes you back to another time, another place in your life.
Good & bad.
Or, if you're like me, sometimes you deliberately play the songs you KNOW will take you back to times you don't want to forget.
Matt & I are HUGE music people. Like if we had a TOP TEN list of things we have in common, MUSIC would be NUMBER 3.
When we met 10 years ago, I bet we had at least 1,000 CD's between the 2 of us, everything from Pearl Jam to Tim McGraw & Snoop Dog to N'Sync.
Now, a decade later, our tastes have changed with the times, but we still love a wide variety of music. But, our ALL-TIME FAVORITE SONGS are way "old school".
Matt = "Paradise City" by Guns-N-Roses
Me = "To Be With You" by Mr. Big
Every time I hear "To Be With You", I am instantly taken back to that Saturday afternoon in 1991, when I first heard the song playing on the radio of my jam box.
I was 13.
I remember sitting by my jam box the entire rest of the day with the "record" & "pause" buttons pushed, so that when I heard the beginning chords of the song, I would be ready.
After I recorded it, I listened to it 24-7 until I memorized all the words.
16 years later, it's on my iPod.
I have plenty of other songs that take me back to certain times in my life. And, I guess if I was told to only list 10, here's what they would be.
- "Big Girls Don't Cry" by Fergie & "Summer Love" by Justin Timberlake: These songs take me back to our trip to South Padre Island in September. I listened to these songs over & over again on the airplane & while lying on the beach.
- "Ants Marching" by Dave Matthews Band: This song takes me back to the summer after my Senior year in high school (1996). My friend, Lauren, and I listened to this song in my car, on our way to & from the pool with the windows down & the sunroof open.
- "A Thousand Miles" by Vanessa Carlton: This song was playing ALL.THE.TIME. at the resort we stayed at on our honeymoon in the Bahama's. Whenever I hear it, I'm reminded of that awesome week Matt & I spent together.
- "Mayberry" by Rascal Flatts: This song came out in April of 2004. The same time we bought & moved into our very 1st home together. When I hear it, it takes me back to those first 3 or 4 days in our house....painting walls, moving furniture, unpacking boxes. All of that is very special to me.
- "Would You Go With Me" by Josh Turner: This song takes me back to August 2006, when Matt & I went to Nashville for a mini-vacation. We took this trip to kind of regain our sanity after miscarrying our baby a few weeks before. I can't explain why, but the lyrics in the song gave me a sense of peace that while we might go through hard times, as long as I can reach out & take Matt's hand, everything is right with the world.
- "Summertime" by Kenny Chesney: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this song. It was our Summer 2006 Theme Song. We listened to this song at least 100 times to & from Panama City Beach, Florida.
- "Hook" by Blues Traveler: This is another song that reminds of me of the summer after my senior year in high school. It's also on my iPod.
- "My Best Friend" by Tim McGraw: This came out in the Winter 0f 1999. Every time I hear it, even in the summer, it reminds me of how the air smells just before it snows. And, then it makes me want to curl up in front of my fireplace with a good book.
- "Little Moments" by Brad Paisley: This is the first song I remember Matt telling me was his song to me. Every time I hear it, I smile.
What are some of the songs that make you "remember when"?